Sunday, March 27, 2005

Different things – things that are different

When you first come to a country, you might be very impressed by all the new things, but then before you start to enjoy the new country fully, you feel slightly disturbed on all things that are different. I am in that kind of period right now, weather I want it or not. My only comfort is that I know that it will pass.

What I thought was something that almost all have within, was that when you meet someone on the street, you’re suppose to pass them on the right side. This seems that it doesn’t work in Paris. Maybe the inhabitants have get use to behaviour of the tourists that invade the city during the summer and spring. Anyway it is quite unpractical. Only today, I almost bumped into four or five people on the street. Maybe there is a system how to pass someone, but I haven’t found it yet.

Another thing, what I discovered already in Austria, is how people act when going on the bus or the underground. People getting on the bus do not wait for the people that want to go off. When going off the bus your really have to fight. Normally the off going passengers win, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is on every train stop at least one passenger who isn’t able to get off.

One of the most difficult things to learn in France is not the language, it is the computer keyboard. During my travels in Europe, I have had the opportunity to deal with a lot of different keyboards, but I have to say: the French one is the hardest to learn so far. Obviously do not French think that the letters A, M, the signs . and , are important as well as the numbers. It is impossible to write something right.

At last I want to complain on the 1 and 2 cent coins. Please, get ride of them, they don’t make anyone happy.

No comments: