Thursday, March 10, 2005

Paris March 10 – The Strike

Today was they day I just was waiting for to come. No, it wasn't the French National Day (it occurs on July 14). No, it wasn't the snail eating day (I don't expect there is one, but if there is of course it would be in France). It was the first striking day since I have arrived. It took me more than a week too experience it, I would expecting just a three or four days ;)
No one seems to know they are striking, but almost all buses, all underground lines and trains are cut of by this. Not all bus/train drivers are striking, which I don't understand, but since I don't understand the reason why there is strike, I don't bother too much, and take it is as a Parisian: an extra day of experience and than just complaint about it all together with the colleagues.
The biggest irony however about this day however, is that this is the second day when the Olympic committee is in Paris, to see how suitable Paris would be as host of the Olympics 2012, where Paris is one of the candidate cities. Paris has made great effort for this, invested a lot of money on commercial ads on the buses. Buses that aren't running today, and showing the commercial. On tonight there will be a spectacular show along the Seine, however it will be very hard for people to get there and see the show. It is to "throwing money in the lake" as the Swedish saying is, or maybe they say throwing money in the Seine here… I will ask ;)
By the way this week there is a Japanese-Swedish film festival at the Cité U. So if I get home in time I will watch "Mitt liv som hund/Ma vie du chien".

No comments: