Friday, March 04, 2005

Paris Day 2 – more snow – First day at work

Getting out of the US student housing was harder then getting in. Isn’t it what I always have meant - the Americans do let people enter their country; they just don’t want to get out them selves. The door was looked, and I could find any way to open it. A woman came entering towards me, I asked her if she could help me, but she started speaking to me in French, I had real problem understanding here, but at last she had got the information from me, that my name was Calle (why did she so desperately want to know that?) and that I was new in the building (as if she didn’t already knew that). Then there came an American girl who knew where the door opener was located at – the French woman turned to me again: Voila!

The bad language experience with the woman in the morning, changed when entering a café ordering a breakfast without any problem at all. The only bad thing with that was the price for the breakfast: tea, juice, and bread with butter and jam for 8 euros!

So I find my way to French Telecom where I will spend the next six months. A huge building, but not that modern, that you would think that a R&D department building of telecom Company would be. Well at least the people seem really nice. Laurence who is my supervisor, is really pedagogic and she really has prepared all the information good. Also Cedric, which I am going to work with, is really helpful and friendly. I am in the same room as sweat Natalie and I guy who’s name I haven’t learnt yet – perhaps it is not a coincident that I learn the girl’s name first… The most conversation today was in French, however since my French isn’t that good yet, in the end it ended with that Natalie showed my pictures from France in snow, which I think her friends has sent her during the day. Snow in France must really be a big thing for the Frenchmen. And the comments from the guy, without a name, were a repeatedly “que la Suède”. Otherwise the day consisted of administrational things – however, relatively little for being France (but I think it will continue next week) – and studying some more about the problem I will deal with. I got a computer which I am going to work with, and as usual as coming to another country, learning the keyboard was harder then learning the menus in another language. I even think French keyboards are extra hard to learn, compared to other I have worked with (such as the Slovenian and German). Anyway the day working day ended at 7 p.m. quite tired I went back after buying a card for the month of March in the underground/metro, and then I bought a pizza – again very expensive food (however, the lunch was incredibly cheap). Back at the Cube I finally meet some of my neighbours. Actually I meet a neighbour already the first day. I heard a knock on the door, just before I was going to bed. Outside the door was a guy called David, I have no clue what he wanted me, since I was the one who mainly did the conversation, and he just answered: yes, no, David. Anyway the people I was talking to this evening seemed to be quite nice.

No comments: